I drafted out the ewe lamb keepers and stared at them long and hard as a group, comparing them with the ones left behind. They are on the whole a fairly even range and, apart from #101 and #130 who look distinctly Romney, have clean faces and legs. I accidentally let one of the ‘no-tag’ lambs through after deciding not to keep any of them. However she’s a fine looking lamb and both Karola and Carl rated her highly so I’ve kept her and will start a new dynasty. Her founding number will be #160E. I made another mistake and didn’t end up with 13 keepers, only 12. I’d let them out by then and was so panicked that I’d be bound to have mis-drafted the one lamb Karola had her heart set on keeping that I brought them back into the yards again and checked carefully. No, it was #119E that got mistakenly put with the wethers and neither Karola nor Carl rated that particular lamb highly so it doesn’t matter. Whew.
I put the keepers with the rest of the ewes, the “sacrificials” with the wethers in the Goose paddock. The ewes have done well in grazing their current grass cell in the Orchard paddock so I moved them to the next cell. First though I gave them some apples cut into quarters from the bottom tray in the fridge – they were beginning to go off. And I gave them a few slices of Henere’s lunchtime white bread – also starting to go off.
Called orchardist Alan Ladbrook and told him the orchard was sheep free now till next winter. He said it was almost time for him to start spraying again so it was welcome news.
I now have a list of the sheep ear tags needed for this year, in addition to about 40 button tags for the newborn lambs to be (#201-#240). There’s the ram, #106, and Kaz’ old ewe #699. There are lost tags to be replaced for: #007, #106, $904 and #911.
The chosen ewe lambs need tags: #101, #108, #111, #113, #116, #121, #128, #130, #133, #150, #152, and the no-tag ewe lamb who is to become #160.
The trip to the works is already booked – see earlier post today for details.